Talk With Us

What You Should Know about Insurance for Second Homes

10 Aug by 5280 Insurance

Home insurance is a necessity for property owners. Fortunately, avoiding high-risk locations may help you save money on home insurance if you are about to purchase a second home. Houses near disaster-prone locations should also be avoided.

Another option is to purchase fresh homes because insurance will be more expensive for older, damaged vacation homes. Consider purchasing a house that is part of an HOA or homeowner’s organization. The HOA will increase security at your home.

If you already own one, installing a central security system like a burglar alarm and smoke detectors will still lower your second home insurance. Combine your primary house insurance with that for your second home. 

You can also ask other insurers for quotes. Instead of bundling it with your primary home insurance, you can obtain a better rate if you get it from a different insurer.

Learn more about getting insurance for your second home in the section below.

Additional Coverage with Your Home Insurance

Conventional second home insurance might not be sufficient to safeguard your assets even if you intend to use your second home exclusively for vacations. You could require additional coverages in addition to your normal insurance.

  • Flood Protection: Standard second house insurance frequently excludes floods, hurricanes, and earthquakes coverage. Your property’s location will decide whether you need flood insurance.
  • Umbrella Insurance: When the limits and coverages of your existing policies are insufficient, this coverage serves as additional insurance. It safeguards your assets and you from unforeseen liabilities and legal actions.
  • Insurance for Hidden Water Damage: Damage caused by undetected water leaks in floors, walls, or ceilings. Because they are ignorant of it, very few people purchase this coverage. This is not the same as the water damage that house insurance typically covers.

Rental of Your Second Residence

If you want to rent out your second home, whether temporarily or permanently, you must notify your insurer and seek additional coverage to protect you and your property. Several different types of insurance can protect you against unforeseen costs.

  • Renter’s Insurance: If you want to rent out your second house to someone for an extended period, your second home insurance will not offer you any protection. You will require landlord insurance to protect you against loss of rental income, liability, and property damage.
  • Commercial Insurance: If you routinely rent out your property for brief times, it will already be regarded as a business, necessitating the purchase of a business insurance policy. 

You can question your insurance agent about which kind of business insurance is ideal for your rental property as there are various kinds available.

  • Insurance for Tenants: Because landlord insurance does not cover the renters’ personal property, the majority of landlords demand renter’s insurance from their tenants. 

The tenant is responsible for getting their own insurance on their own dime. Typically, personal belongings, liability, and additional living costs are all covered by renter’s insurance.


Just like your primary dwelling, a second home you purchased must be secured, whether it was for personal use or investment. You won’t suffer financial damages if you have second house insurance if there is an accident or disaster. Your goods and property will be protected.

5280 Insurance can get you the best home insurance in Colorado. We’re an insurance company, offering auto, home, motorcycle, umbrella, flood, and other insurance types. Call us now to check out your options.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *