Talk With Us

Do Homeowners’ Insurance Policies Cover Floods? (Part 2)

3 Aug by 5280 Insurance

In the first half of this informative two-part post from 5280 Insurance, we have answered your question about whether or not your homeowner’s insurance covers flood damages. 

Now, we are going to address some of the other queries you might have related to this: 

Is It Absolutely Necessary to Add Flood Insurance to My Existing Homeowner’s Insurance Policy?

Adding flood insurance to your existing homeowner’s insurance policy is not always necessary, but it is highly recommended. Flooding is among the most common disasters in the United States, and even if you reside in an area that isn’t prone to flooding, your home could still be at risk. If your home is damaged or totally destroyed by a flood, your homeowner’s insurance policy will not cover the damages.

There are a few things you’d need to think about when deciding whether or not to add flood insurance to your policy:

First, consider the value of your home and possessions. If your home is valued at more than $250,000, you should consider adding flood insurance. 

Second, consider the risk of flooding in your area. If you live in an area with a high risk of flooding, you will need to purchase flood insurance regardless of the value of your home.

Lastly, consider the cost of flood insurance. Flood insurance is not cheap, but the cost of repairing or replacing your home and possessions if a flood damages them could be much higher. If you are uncertain whether or not flood insurance is needed, speak to your insurance agent. They can help you assess your risk and determine if flood insurance is right for you.

How Much Flood Coverage Do I Need?

When it comes to flood insurance, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. The coverage you need depends on several factors, including the level of flood risk in your area, the value of your home and possessions, and your financial situation.

If you live in a high-risk flood zone, your mortgage lender will likely require you to purchase flood insurance. Even if you don’t live in a high-risk area, though, flood insurance can still be a good idea. You might not realize it, but just one inch of water can cause $25,000 in damage to your home.

If you’re considering purchasing flood insurance, it’s important to understand the different types of coverage available. Standard home insurance policies don’t cover damages from floods, so you’ll need to purchase a separate policy.

There are two types of flood insurance:

  • Building coverage: This covers the structure of your home, including the foundation, walls, and ceilings.
  • Contents coverage: This covers your personal belongings, such as furniture, clothing, and appliances.

You can purchase coverage for just your building, just your contents, or both. The amount of coverage you’d require depends on the value of your home and possessions.

If you have questions about how much flood coverage you need, speak with your insurance agent. They can help you assess your risk and choose the right policy for your needs.


It’s important to remember to protect your home from the possibility of flooding. While your homeowner’s insurance policy may cover some damages, getting flood insurance is vital to ensure you’re fully protected.

While the expenses that come with flood insurance may seem to you like an extra expense, it would be nothing compared to the cost of repairing your home and belongings if they’re damaged in a flood. So, if you reside in an area that is prone to flooding or are just concerned about the possibility, be sure to get flood insurance from one of the best insurance companies in your area. It could also help save you a lot of money and heartache in the long run.

5280 Insurance is one of the best insurance companies in Colorado that can provide you with the protection that you need for your home and other assets. Reach out to us to learn more about flood insurance and other insurance products we have for you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *